Sunday, February 24, 2013

Losing track...













Last week we had a good chase in the rain ( cant remember which day right now), and then I promptly caught a bad cold and missed 2 hunts on , I believe, Monday and Tuesday. (??) We had more rain, but hunted again on Friday. I wasnt 100%, but went because my hounds needed to GET OUT of the kennel. We had a good run with a fox that liked to run the dirt roads. I sprained my ankle while running to get to hounds at an earth.  Saturday it rained AGAIN.  I went and got some arnica for the ankle, and by Sunday morning, the bruising was GONE, and I could walk on it. Amazing stuff!!

Which brings  me today's hunt. Which is freshest in my mind.  We put two foxes to ground around the Cannery woods in the first hour and a half. Neither fox stayed up for more than 15 minutes before running to an earth. Hounds were gathered and we  drew the woods behind Latham's.  A nice -running red got up and hounds pressed this pilot for about 75 minutes before he, too, decided he had had enough and went to ground at the gravel pit.  But before doing so, he made at least 3 circles around the "punchbowl" field (my name for it, as it is a large plot almost completely encircled by woods, with a gravel pit at the one open end.).  Sevral times he crossed over the open, and almost everyone got several good views of him. ( see the video).

I walked out to a hedgerow that cuts across the field and stood in one place as the fox went around me.  At one point, he came right to where I was hiding, but saw me and turned back.  Didnt seem to faze him one bit,as he made another long circle after that,  running in the open for a good part of it.

Not the best hunt report. I needed to catch up, but everything is kind of fuzzy up until  last Friday....  Hounds are very fit, except for Reno and Marilyn who have been in heat.   Reno should be good to go by next week-we needed her on Friday when we had that fox that ran the roads so much!

Scattered  thoughts ...tired...hunting again tomorrow, need to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment