Friday, March 9, 2012

2nd Puppy Hunt

The wind continued to roar overnight as it ushered in a cold front this morning.  Rain showers accompanied the colder air, but the precipitation abated an hour before hounds moved off.

Tommy, Bobby and I  walked 4 couple into the County House woods at 8:00am.. We had the four pups, Ryan , Raven, Rebel and Reilly,along with my Sara, Bobby's M&M and Roscoe, and Tommy's Twister ( the sire of the litter).  Reno, their mother, is up in heat or I would have brought her, too.

As soon as we walked down the path into the woods, old M&M began to tongue.  At first, the hounds took the scent over the path in front of us, but M&M knew they had it heel and  she got things straightened out on her own.

My Reilly was gone! Raven was in the chase with all the old hounds , also.   But Rebel didnt go, and unfortunately for Tommy, Ryan ended up staying with  Rebel.  Only three couple ran this red back and forth  through the  woods, then  over the County House rd and into the swamp on the other side.  At the hour mark, when it was clear that Charles James' plan was to wind around in that black swamp mud ,  we called them off .   The wind was still blowing,( but now it is a cold W/NW wind, rather than the nice southerly blasts we had yesterday) and they were all together . Quit while ahead!

Another good experience for the pups, although they might not agree- they were all covered in wet, black goo when they emerged from the swamp!

I couldnt video for the second half of the chase because I somehow managed to lose the camera.    I know I must have set it on top of my hound box at some point during the middle of the hunt.  After we were done, Tommy, Bobby and I walked back over the dirt road until we found it.  That cost me a 30-pack of beer and a pint of whiskey! (But  that's cheaper than replacing the camera!)

No comments:

Post a Comment