Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fool's Hunt

Tommy's puppy, T-Bone, after the  hunt this morning - one tired pup!
  Today our hunt consisted of a small pack of only 7 1/2 couple, including Tommy's puppy,T-Bone. Bobby could not join us because a  ball game took priority, and when he called me mid-\morning to ask how the hunt went, I could not resist an April Fool's prank:

Our actual hunt:

We began the draw at 7:45am, and it took until 8:35 for the hounds to get their fox to leave the covert where he had been tiptoeing around them for close to an hour. Hounds trailed him around the small covert the entire time.   The  hounds ran this fox well for another hour until their pilot ran a large swing in the open and back to a woods adjacent to a large den at the edge of a field.  I think the fox was attempting a hand-off, but only 2 couple of hounds fell for the ruse. The others continued  to pursue the original  fox.  My hounds and Tommy's pup were with with the larger bunch that  stayed true to the first fox.   (T-Bone had gotten a breather at one point earlier in the chase , when the fox crossed a road and Tommy loaded  the puppy at the road . Later, when the fox crossed another road, Tommy let  T-Bone back out again.)

At about 10:15,  when the fox was making a run over yet another road, headed back to the covert where he had been jumped, all hounds were picked up. ( We are hunting again tomorrow, and I know they were thinking about Bobby's hounds being fresh from a day off! lol!) T-Bone did super! But he was ready to fall asleep only moments after he got back inside the hound truck.

Now, what I told Bobby:

He: "So, how did your hunt go?"
Me: "WOW, SUPER!!!! You Should have BEEN here!!!  Tommy and I brought our puppies  .  We got a hot fox and the puppies were running 4th and 5th - they ran for over 2 hours!!"
He:  "REALly?"
Me: " Yeah, and at  one point, they were even running him  BY SIGHT!!! Ran him by sight right to the hole! They got a really good noseful at the den-Reilly was in up to her butt!  And then... you're not gonna believe this..."
He: " what, what, you took your puppies when i 'm not there, huh."
Me (ignoring his comment):  "THEN,  the fox bolted out another hole in the den and  Tommy's puppy almost ran right into it! He and the fox made eye contact!!"'
HE:  "Damn. " Long silence.... then: "I'm bringing both my pups tomorrow".

It was all I could do not to bust out laughing and fess up that it was an April Fool joke.  But he fell for it, totally.  So as soon as I hung up , I  called Tommy and asked him to go along with  it. 

As far as I know, Bobby still thinks I took Reilly.  I guess his mind was so much on umpiring , that he didnt even realize the date  Tommy and I will get an earful tomorrow, I'm sure.

And I am going to take Reilly, because I know  all of  the other puppies will be there...

No comments:

Post a Comment