Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday hunt - #24 for my hounds

...this will be short, since we are hunting tomorrow and Sunday and I need sleep.

Heavy, heavy fog-the heaviest I've seen  in a long time -hung over most of DelMarVa this morning. It was 32 degrees at my farm ( ice coated my metal gates), but about 36  at 7:15am when I arrived at the meet.  We waited for the sun to rise higher , expecting it to burn off the mist quickly, but that never happened until we were loading the hounds after their  fox went to ground at  9:30!


We put 19 couple into the woods behind Stevie Leeks house at 8am, and by 8:05 they were trailing up thier pilot.  At about 8:10, they got this red on the move,and I got this pic just as they were getting hot:

This fox covered a lot of country in the next hour and a half, crossing Burrsville Rd 4 times.I viewed him cross twice, and he was FLYING.  The second time I was able to be at the road as hounds crossed,  there were two hounds who had the line way ahead of the others. I held those two up in the field alongside the road until the main pack caught up, and then held my breath again as they all flew across the pavement to continue their pursuit of  one very quick and very crafty fox.


Hounds crossing the third time, the fog actually got worse as the chase progressed


Tail hounds, after crossing the road the first time.  I got there just in time!!

It was nerve-wracking.  The heavy fog kept cry muffled, and keeping track of the pack was a challenge.  Thankfully, every time the pack crossed the road someone was with them, and everyone stayed safe.
I was so relieved to see all of my hounds, and all of Bobby's , walk out from the hole.  Marney must be over her silliness from being kept up for three weeks, as she was RIGHT THERE! And  my puppy, Reilly, what a great bitch she is turning out to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment