Saturday, September 10, 2011

Saturday, September10. Poetry in motion- kinda

Another early morning chase ( yawn).  I could've slept an extra half hour,as one person didnt arrive until 5:30, and I was at the meet @ 5am.  Listened to "Coast to Coast" on the drive over,as usual.  George Noury spooked me enough this morning that I stayed in my truck with the windows locked until someone else showed up!


Drew the cornfield next to Georges' Branch again-it's the only corn field still standing that we can hunt in at the moment.  Can't remember another year in which all the corn came down this early. 67 F, no wind, but very humid still.  Hounds jumped a fox @ 5:51am and our little pack of  9 1/2cple had a good chase for 70 minutes.  We had to break them again and I was almost wishing we had done it earlier. Of course, Mr.Fred said, " what??? let'em run till suppertime!"  Those hounds were so hot that  we ran them down to the overgoin'  and unloaded them into the stream  to cool off. Yeah, overgoin'. Obsolete phrase, ( over going ) used by Shakespeare as a verb in King Henry VIII.  Pretty sure these fellas didnt learn it from him....
.
Took me 3 years before I figured out what they were saying...The "overgoin'" here is a creek crossing-no bridge- just a firm spot with rocks on the bottom (imported rocks, since there are no indigenous stones here on the Eastern Shore!) through which  you can drive a vehicle.  That is,  unless there has been a recent heavy rain. Like last week.


Anyway, I was glad we had the opportunity to cool them off quickly 'cause a few of them, including Shamrock, weren't looking so good. But a quick dip and a cold drink  revived them, and my three  (Marilyn is still in heat) had a comfortable ride home.

Great hound music, as this fox kept making circles in the corn, coming close to us several times. "Alarmin' the castle", as Freddie would say.  Another Eastern Shore foxhunters' term ( at least, I've never heard it anywhere else,  somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) that also has nothing whatsoever to do with Shakespeare. Just another way of saying they were tonguing their hearts out.
This was @ 50 minutes into the chase.

No comments:

Post a Comment