Sunday, September 18, 2011

So what now?!

....the corn came off of  the fields around George's Pond on Friday.  That left us only Burliegh's fields to hunt on Saturday, and we knew it would be our last hunt there for awhile,too. Heavy equipment was lined up along the road there which meant it,too,would be gone before Sunday.

Most of the corn in Burleigh's was flattened by Hurricane Irene. It is hard for the hounds and for us to manuever through it. Hounds have to be constantly jumping over every stalk that is laying on its side. Hard for a hound to keep its nose to the ground while  doing that! I had to hyke my knees to my waist with every stride.
 It was a less-than -ideal day,weather-wise.  Cooler by almost 20 degrees from the last hunt @5:30am.. But winds out of the NE @ 10-15mph made the air heavy and  also made it impossible to hear unless you were in one location, ( and which was NOT where the hounds were most of the day .)

The best run of the morning was the last, and that fox threatened to cross the highway once.Thankfully , he turned back.  I was the only one there when he came close to the road, and as soon as he turned back, it was only seconds before I couldnt hear *anything* again. Wind was all wrong, all day.  I was glad when it was over @ 8:30am.

Its bow season in Maryland now, and foxchasing doesnt open until October1st in Delaware.  Our only hope is maybe a chance out next Sunday morning @ George's.  Realy looking forward to hunting C & R Center after October 1st!!  I  will definitely be mounted for those hunts,and I'm hoping Shirley will want to join us on General  ( or Rap! I'm trying to convince her to hunt Rap this season,so I can hunt Mel more often)

Today, ,Sunday, I cleaned ALL of my tack. Wormed ALL of the hounds.  Rode Mel, which meant I had to clean his tack all over again. Customers came with more blankets ( procrastinators!). Got domestic and made Crab stuffed Portobello mushrooms (moms favorite), and was gifted with a precious bag of Pole Limas,so I stretched them by making succotash with some of the last of the fresh corn.




Mom came over and took some pics of the puppies :

No comments:

Post a Comment