Friday, December 16, 2011

Recap of past three days

Wednesday we hunted the Dead End woods with 12 couple. But another private pack was hunting upwind and across a highway from us, without our knowledge at the time of our first draw. Needless to say, our hounds began to hark to theirs, and it was a bit of a nail biter until we were certain that none of our hounds had made it across the highway. I broke 5 cple, Tommy broke some others, and the rest of ours had found their own fox deep in the County House woods. But all morning long, I spent sitting out on that highway, just in case.
Very nerve-wracking, as I have seen hounds get killed on that very stretch of road several years ago when a tractor trailer ran over 4.

Our pack ran a very well behaved red fox that stayed within the County House woods, never getting too close to that busy road. Tommy stayed on the dirt lane that bisects the woods and runs parallel to the highway. He viewed the fox cross back and forth several times. I never saw, or heard ( being upwind) dink all morning. But I knew sure as sh@t that if I left that road, our fox would leave the County House and cross it.

Our fox went to ground at 11am , and since we all had somewhere we needed to be, we called it a day. ( we had started at 9am).

After a scary diagnosis of the big "n" by my local vet, based on reaction to hoof testers, I hauled Rap up to Doc Riddle for radiographs. Nothing, zilch, nada. Feet are clean, bones are normal!!! Yay!!! Some soreness in heels thanks to the farrier not seeming to be able to get Raps angles up above 49. A big change is necessary, as the shoeing has got to improve. What to do??? I've used the same blacksmith for 15 years......but if he won't do what I ask...??????

Just so glad that Rap is ok. I've been riding Mel, the ISH, for the past week, and am thrilled that he is going sound and feels GREAT! but he's the fat one,and Rap is the fit one, so it will be Rap that I take to hunt at Wye Island next week. At least for the one day, and then perhaps,I'll take Mel for the second day. Never thought I'd be having a choice between the two of them again!! What a great Christmas present that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment