Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thursday, Dec 22 hunt-correction.ya'll knew I meant 10 couple! But may have 20cple out next week!

I had this hunt report half way finished when the damn dog  hit some key on the keyboard and it ALL DISAPPEARED. Sheesh

10 couple out, including three of my four bitches.Marney back in action.(Sara will be ready to go this weekend).  I was late getting to the 8am meet, so I called ahead and told the guys to start the draw without me.  Curtis' dog jumped the first fox at 8:07. I arrived at 8:10am and was able to get my bitches harked right behind the pack as they made a run down the side of a field. Perfect way to get Marney back  into the swing of things. Just perfect!

This fox ran for 40 mintues then went right to a hole in the same covert where he was found. All hounds were on. We walked the pack across the street and into  some woods about 1/4 mile away.  Just after 9am, the second fox was on the move. I had a close encounter with him when he cut the corner of a field were I was standing alone.  He ran within 50 feet of me, and turned his head and gave me a long look as he went by.  A funny colored  fox-very dark on the sides, almost like a gray fox color, but definitely NOT a gray fox.  The damn camera was in my pocket , but I was so transfixed by the mutual stare we were having that i never thought to get it out!  But I grabbed it in time to get the hounds as they went by.  We had several hounds ahead, and a bigger bunch running them up behind, as you will hear and see  on the video.



This fox ran some woods, then crossed a road and made a nice run in the open after blasting through a small covert on the other side.  Our hounds were having trouble getting together-the back hounds were way behind the entire time on this fox.  When the front hounds hit the woods on the other side of the road, they switched onto a different fox.  I viewed the original funny colored fox as he broke covert and ran the open to the north, but the hounds never came on him. Their new pilot took them on a different course , running  east through a big stand of woods, crossing  another road, and then hitting another large woods. After blowing through that covert, he made a wild swing to the north, crossing yet another road, and then bearing back east. He eventually went to ground in an earth next to a  drain pipe along a huge tax ditch.  A good run!
By now it was 11:45, and the temperature had soared to over 60 degrees.  A good time to quit.  Bobby and I were the first to get to  the hounds as they marked the earth..  As we began to walk them out, we heard the sound of a hound in distress.

I've heard that sound before.  I've heard that exact HOUND before. It was Bobby's dog, Radio.  The same hound that had gotten himself immortalized on video when he got himself stuck in a drain pipe back in October at the C &R Center.  And he had done it again:


. But this time, the end of the pipe was badly bent-much more so than the pipe at the C & R .   Tommy and Curtis arrived on the scene, and using a nearby deer stand's metal ladder, they attempted to bend the bent top of the pipe up.  No luck. Tommy left to go find better tools.

I stayed with Radio. He got himself turned sideways and was trying to squeeze out, but couldnt get his shoulders cleared.  I started digging away at the dirt on the outside of the pipe with my bare hands and somehow  created enough space for him to squiggle his shoulders clear. But he was laying sideways, and the pipe edge was very sharp. I didnt want to pull him liike I had done last time, for fear of him getting sliced up.  But  Tommy re-appeared and he pulled Radio out the rest of the way.  Crazy hound.  'Thought he would have learned a lesson after the first time!

End of story.  Hunting tomorrow again, at 8am.

All of the fields have these things sticking up ,along with the left over cornstalks. Nice footing for the horse, hey?
This radish is 10 inches long!
P>S>  remember the new cover crop I talked about? Radishes. The farmers no-till the radishes, then let them die back and rot into the ground. The thing  is, right now these radishes are sticking up out of the ground about 4 inches.,which makes riding a horse over these fields a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment