Sunday, December 4, 2011

Saturday and Sunday Dec 3 and 4

This morning started out good, but then Rap took a bad step early into the first chase and he came up a little off.  I  threw him back on the trailer and jumped into a passing hound truck for the following hour and a half.  Later on,  I tried him again, but he seemed worse, so back on the trailer he went. 

Great day as far as good chases.  Much better than yesterday, when we had two hot foxes first thing, but both ran straight into Maryland.( and its still deer season in MD)  After that, it was a messed up day for the remainder of Saturday, as the hounds seemed to have alot of trouble staying on any one fox. Not that there weren't foxes- we had  at least 4 that I can recall ,but  the hounds just couldnt run . It was a NE wind, and I think that had alot to do with it. ( Worst day I think,all season.) It was a shame we couldnt have let them stay on the first two foxes. But, what the hey, that's foxhuntin'.

Today, wind was out of the South, there was a pretty good frost and the temp was again right around 30 degrees when  hounds began the first run that would last for over an hour and a half. The combined pack of 14 couple really covered a lot of ground, running in the open for most of the time.  Of course, I missed the best of that as I was getting Rap back to the trailer and then had to find somebody to pick me up and drive me about 3   miles to where the hounds were running.  Looking back over the helmet cam videos, I see a spot where I remember Rap put a foot in a hole.  I am hoping he just put a foot wrong and it's nothing serious.  No swelling or heat anywhere yet, so I'll see how he is tomorrow. He'll get a few days off and then I'll see what's up.

Anyway,  it was  4 hours again today, as it was yesterday, but the difference is today the hounds ran HARD.
Here is the only video I have of  Rap and me with the hounds, before he starting getting gimpy: ( you'll hear me trying to push him on- I knew right then that he wasnt right, cause when he's with the hounds, I dont have to ASK for anything). I pulled him up right there, so you can see why im so bummed  out.,

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/sunday-124-hunt-with-rap--2/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>


I left Marney home today, shes' in heat.  Marilyn is not right after todays chase, hope she's ok tomorrow.
Ditto with Rap.  Needless to say, I'm bummed. Best thing to do now is go pour a glass of the good stuff!

The good news: I made the only adjustment possiuble to the FOV  on the camera lens, down to135mm from 170mm. Things still seem farther away than they really are , but the fishbowl look does seem somewhat reduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment