Monday, December 10, 2012

A road-running red, but Reno stayed with him

46 degrees,and raining hard when I arrived at the meet . Bobby had called me at 7:45 to    inform me that they had just viewed a fox leaving Johnny Boy's thicket and they were going to turn out on him. I was only ten minutes away,with my horse and 3 of my 5 hounds on board.

The rain abated just as I was unloading the trailer.  I had a short hack to get to the covert where hounds were running. My hounds harked and moments later the fox ran a dirt road , without anyone viewing him.   The pack hit the road and made a check- one of several times this fox pulled this manuever, and on more than one dirt road. It was Reno who recovered the line - and it was she who did so everytime the fox pulled this stunt!!  But all of the hounds did super- we had 5 deer run in front of them in the woods and then pop out  across the road, but hounds stayed true to the fox' line. It's on the video-a long video,but if you love watching hounds work, you will like it!

At about 8:45, our fox made a break across a paved road to head into Ringolds Green, where he made several swings before crossing another paved road on his way to the Clay Swamp.  We had to hold hounds up at that road  at 9:10 am because we didnt want them getting  into Clay Swamp.  It was a fast chase and the weather conditions were not improving so we decided to call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment