Thursday, December 6, 2012

SARA - draggin' the pack in the open!




Our accomodating pilot

Sara running first!

Today was hunt # 32 for my hounds. Bobby 's have been out 38 times. I am one hunt behind  my last years' pace, but since I lost Lark I am more discriminating as to where I take my bitches.

11 couple met at 8am, and Twister found the mornings' pilot - another healthy red fox- at 8:14.It was cold -26 degrees at 7:15am  -more like it should be this time of year. A stiff breeze of 10-15 mph out of the N N/W made it feel colder.  But the chase that ensued over then next 94 minutes kept  us all heated up!

Our fox made several long runs in the open and also crossed the  road 4 times.   When he made his first long open run,I was looking into the sun and  THOUGHT I had the entire run on video. But, alas, when I later looked in the memory, it wasnt there.  I guess I didnt have the camera on when I thought I did!  But the footage of  the pack (with Sara running up front )across the huge open field  was taken about a minute later.  They were not far behind Charles today!

I did get Charles when he stopped in the middle of the road to look at us during one of his crossings.  Later on in the chase, just as he was trying to come back over that road in the same exact spot where he had gone over, a passing vehicle literally almost ran into him -the driver didnt stop!  (Glad it wasnt hounds crossing at the time!)  You will see on the video the hounds come into the road and Bobby and I are there to make sure they get the line sorted out. .  Notice that MARNEY was in front here, and also when they followed the fox over that road earlier!!!  I love how she keeps her nose to the line while the others get lifted to Bobby's hark. By this time,Sara was out of gas,and you will hear me break her- she didnt take much convincing,lol.  For a hound that supposedly has a bad heart and  should have been put down 3 years ago, she does ok .

This chase ended when Charles popped into a hole in the middle of a wheat field at about 9:50am. All wereon( save for Sara,who was already sound asleep in my truck!)

No comments:

Post a Comment